Plenty more games available - ideal for parents of life-guard duty!
Anyone for tennis?
Our resident Macaw, Tardu
Master Bedroom - in its own building
Main dining hall
Sea views from the bed - no need to get up!
Bedrooms are spread across three buildings - plenty of privacy
All five bedrooms are en-suite.
Turkish steam room
Jacuzzi, swimming pool and sea - three bodies of water!
Much more than a holiday home, staying in Delenia is like having your own private village. Strategically located on a secluded corner of the Aegean, yet surprisingly close to Athens and its International Airport.
Situated in south Evvia (or Euboea, Greece's second largest island, after Crete) it is a mere two hours from the International Airport, and yet the estate itself lies on an undiscovered part of the Aegean sea. Delenia offers a unique combination of easy accessibility and complete privacy.
Delenia consists of a total of 6 buildings; there are five bedrooms (all en-suite, with their own cooling systems and own fireplace and under floor heating for the winter months), two kitchens, two living rooms, one study and three dining areas.
The outdoor areas are the epicenter of life in the summer months, and have been designed accordingly: a large terrace with clear views of the Aegean; two al fresco dining areas, plus a stone barbeque and traditional Greek bread oven; tennis and basketball courts; an outdoor four-poster bed; a Hammam (Turkish steam room); outdoor Jacuzzi; and, of course, the sea water swimming pool.
The layout encourages togetherness, but also allows for privacy. Guest rooms are spread over three buildings, each one independent from the other, and entirely self-sufficient.
1. The main building comprises of a large living area: a kitchen, a dining room (table for 16), living room and one double bedroom. This is the David McTaggart room, and offers exquisite views of the Aegean sea from the bed. There is one ncluded in the price of the villa is one airport pick-up and one drop-off, with one car - ie. up to four passengers. If you plan on hiring cars at the airport, the driver picking you up can lead the way for the other cars, too, and take you to the port of Agia Marina. From Athens airport, it is about 70 km drive to the port of Agia Marina (near Marathon village), then 45 minutes on the ferry to the port of Nea Styra, on the island of Evvia, then a 15 minute drive to the villa. double bed in this room, plus a small loft with a single mattress, that can be brought down, if preferred, as there is enough floor space.
2. The second building houses the master bedroom, and, again, exceptional sea views from the bed and bathtub. There is also a large study/second living room/kitchen area here. This can be used as a sixth bedroom: there is a top-of-the-range sofa bed here, with a double latex mattress. The bedroom and the study have independent entrances (as do all rooms in all buildings) so no need to disturb others in order to get in or out! Absolute privacy guaranteed.
3. The third building consists of three large bedrooms – all with their own individual character and layout. The first one, Chryssa’s room is the largest and has ample desk space for studying or working; the second, the Turkish room, has two double beds; and the third, ‘to paidiko’ or the children’s room, is a playground for young and old alike, with lofts, Tarzan ropes, and firemen’s sliding poles. All bedrooms have got double beds, plus additional sleeping space. The children's room has got a large loft with a single bed on one side and a semi-double on the other (so up to five people in total could sleep in this room); the Turkish room has got a single bed as well as the double bed; and Chryssa's room has got a small loft with a single mattress, which could also be brought down, as there is plenty of floor space.
4. The hammam – or Turkish steam room and sauna, all built in stone and in keeping with the general aesthetic of Delenia. Next to it is an outdoor Jacuzzi.
5. Woodwork workshop – where all the furniture, and wooden structures were made, in locum.
6. Staff cottage at the edge of the estate, designed for independence; this is occupied by the Georgian couple, Nikos and Lile, who look after the estate and its guests. They are on-call 24/7 via intercom.
COOKING, CLEANING and AIRPORT PICK-UP AND DROP-OFF:
Daily cooking, cleaning and chauffeur services are provided by resident staff, who will also assist with use of the facilities, and their knowledge of the local area.
Staff will prepare one meal a day, and can do the supermarket shopping, as required (they will also take care of the cleaning up after the main meal; there is also a large dishwasher in the main kitchen). Included in the rental price is the service for cooking the meal (obviously the cost of the food will be covered by guests, according to what they choose to shop - the shopping can be done yourselves, or you can instruct the driver to do it for you, so you can maximise your sun-bathing time!)
Staff speak English, Greek, Georgian and Russian. The cook, Lile, who has a wide range of Georgian, Greek and Continental dishes in her repertoire (as well as baking excellent birthday cakes!) can also offer child-minding services (this is not included in the rental price of the villa, and should be arranged directly with her). The driver, Nikos, has the use of a 4X4 Subaru Forrester, and is on-hand for supermarket runs and trips to nearby beaches (cost of petrol to be covered by guests, according to usage). He is also able to drive guests on sight-seeing trips to the ancient towns of Karystos or Eretria, or the mysterious Dragon Houses (Drakospita) which are dotted across southern Evvia (also spelt Euboea). Again, this is not included in the rental price of the villa, and should be arranged directly with him. Day trips in to Athens can also be arranged.
Activities in the area include trekking, cycling, diving, cruises and canoeing/kayaking, all of which can be arranged from Karystos. Especially recommended is the excursion to the Dimosari Gorge, near Karystos (involves walking) and snorkeling in the Petali Islands (frequented by Winston Churchill, Maria Callas, Aristotle Onassis and Rudolf Nureyev, no less!)
Included in the price of the villa is one airport pick-up and one drop-off, with one car - ie. up to four passengers. If you plan on hiring cars at the airport, the driver picking you up can lead the way for the other cars, too, and take you to the port of Agia Marina. From Athens airport, it is about 70 km drive to the port of Agia Marina (near Marathon village), then 45 minutes on the ferry to the port of Nea Styra, on the island of Evvia, then a 15 minute drive to the villa.
There is an aviary which often means fresh free-range eggs in the mornings. There is a garden plot with organic tomatoes and other seasonal vegetables; organic herbs such as basil are also grown on the estate.
Additional features include an ensemble of stone benches perched on the cliffs, besides the ‘Window on the Aegean’, and plenty of nooks and crannies to be discovered at your leisure.
If you have any questions, just ask!
Accommodation and Amenities:
Beach Service (included)
Cooking Utensils Provided
Deep Sea Fishing
Near Elaihori, Evia and Sporades Islands, Greece
Home, 5 bedroom, 5 bath, sleeps 16